Sunday, February 20, 2011

Weekend update - 20 Feb

Had another good weekend of training.  Want to give a shout out to the Tri-State Metro Area Eastern Valley PRO group ride.  There are several strong regional racers that show up for this ride.  I treat these rides as races and my pre-ride routine involves jamming to Journey, Rush, and STYX on my iPod.  Apologies to all the riders I 'ignore', but I need to go to my 'special place' like the European pros before Paris-Roubaix.  I got 14th in the first town line sprint and 27th in the next sprint.  Not bad considering I didn't eat my normal breakfast AND I was testing a new saddle bag that was loaded down with an extra tire lever.  I wasn't on my race wheels either, I can feel my training wheels really slow me down as they don't have any snap.
I will start sharing my power numbers soon, but for now, I'm in 'stealth mode' per my Albanian trainer's (Larry) advice.  Don't share with the competition!!  I will say I'm seeing some promising numbers and they are creeping up in the right direction.  With my increased power numbers and more aero sprinting position, I really can't see me NOT winning this spring.
On the equipment side of things, I recently had my local shop install a lighter seat post collar.  This saved a few grams and offers a significant mental edge when climbing.  Another two thumbs up!!
On the work side of things, Cracker Barrel introduced a new appetizer "Jalepeno Poppers".  I heard these are fashionable to serve, so I guess we're just falling in line.  ALL the employees got a free sample to try, which I thought was cool of management, now we can recommend without hesitation.  I think we're also going to be offering Diet Dr. Pepper soon,  so that's good news too.  I'm glad I have compression calf guards to wear, because my 3 hour shift is tough on my recovery after the hard training rides I do.
Europe 2014

2 comments:

  1. MM,

    You entries are inspirational as always. I'm glad you started this blog as it's helping me become more assured in my desire to be a top-level European pro. Did I tell you that my natural hematocrit is 50.6 - not bad for a former linebacker, eh?

    Keep up the good work and let me know if you see another deal on some Vino 4 Ever time trial speedsuits - between that and the 140 psi in my 21cc tyres I should be able to rock the next out-and-back, provided it's flat (I haven't gotten my climbing legs yet this early in the season).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello MC Ice - glad to know I am inspiring you to go to Europe and race - I think it will be easy for me to get noticed after some wins. I will take this opportunity to recommend two steps:
    1) My trainer, Larry, is very good and cheap. Only $300/month. AND you can email him twice a week for that price. He's a good guy, maybe some day I will get to meet him. For now I use PayPal.
    2) The "CB" (Cracker Barrel) offers several sub-2,000 calorie meals that will help you lean out. It's tough to say 'No' to the fine European-like cheeses they have, but it can be done. I like the bacon melt with fat free Ranch and of course, our new appetizer (or side dish) JALEPENO POPPERS.

    Good luck racing, chances are I'm faster than you though.

    ReplyDelete